InwardHellix InwardHellix InwardHellix InwardHellix InwardHellix InwardHellix

Reply to topic
Previous topic :: Next topic
Inward Guessix
rwp80 
In hiding...

Level: 40
Posted: 2018-07-25, 17:18   Inward Guessix

I'm 40 levels in and I've noticed a horrible trend in this riddle.

Early on, the levels are made in a very clever way, where you have to try to understand the clues and figure out what to do.

Thing is, as the levels progress, the riddle becomes less about figuring things out and more about just blindly guessing what to do and guessing what goes where. You end up spending more time decrypting the forum hints from other players than actually working the puzzle yourself.

The whole riddle needs a level-by-level rework to point the player in the right direction better, even if it's done thematically and cryptically; eg: like level 38 which is done very well.

Just to prevent any scummy strawman replies:

1. No I'm not saying IH should hold the players hand, but it should cryptically point the player along each step, not just start the player off and hope they guess the right things to do.

2. Yes I am aware that many other players have completed it before, but I'm sure most of them had to rely on the forum hint threads as much or more than the puzzle itself.

3. And for the early players that solved it before there was the forum... Well, they had the time and patience to bash their heads against a brick wall, blindly trying random things until they stumbled upon the answer.

4. "Inward Hellix just isn't for you" - Maybe, but if that's true it's because blind guesswork is not really a riddle, it's just guesswork.

Think to yourself and be honest. At every level you've completed in IH have you really figured out what to do without guessing the process? No, of course not.

A riddle is only good if you can smell the flavour of the answer before you reach it. Some of the levels in IH are like this and they are fantastic.
But so many levels are just guesswork and that's a real shame.

lla26 
Warped mind...

Level: 77
Posted: 2018-08-02, 04:48   

There are much less hints in the latter levels because these levels assume you know techniques learned in the previous levels. The forum hints are there to guide what you should do next in case you are stuck. Experience from other online riddles help too. Levels 33 and 38 are perfect examples where experience from other online riddles help.

2. Yes, I will admir I did use the foeim to get hints. But I think everyone does too.

3. They're probably geniuses. Someone told me Tynka is just genial in nature.

4. The solutions are really beautiful, once you understand them. 22 is an example of this. Really, have you been playing NotPron a lot or any riddle similar to it? IH is much closer to Ze?t IMO.

People are only guessing what to do next because they're most likely overthinkers. Even me.

I'd say almost all levels of IH are beautiful due to their solutions. I haven't seen such solutions in past riddles I have done. The only levels I didn't really like are 21, 23, and 24 for obvious reasons.
Riddle progress

Reply to topic