Previous topic :: Next topic
Level 68
Mozgur 
Hear nothing...

Level: 68
Posted: 2014-01-08, 18:50   

Quote:
First - redownload, it was updated.

Passwords from old file won't work (only the first one works), did you changed them?

Beezqp 
Master of Darkness

Level: 77
Posted: 2014-01-08, 19:43   

all should work the same way

VisD
Alive...

Level: 75
Posted: 2014-04-23, 19:49   

Gonna leave some hints here in advance for the two rapidly approaching players, and for legacy...this level's a little unfair and obtuse in parts imo, so some clarification is in order.

First, die...then don't die...
A noise will lead you farther if you follow...
Now you need to take a step back first to step forward. Use somethings obviously important and combine, don't be afraid of non-words...then step forward.
Here, 68.wmv...what to do with it? A detail is your only clue. Spot it and make sense of it, and all will become clear.
Now you've got something to look at...things are curious. Have you been here before...? Once you have something good, look for a non-word answer...just use what has been provided to you elsewhere and apply onto word to give non-word which will be the one to take you through.

Finally...light at last? Not so fast. No hints needed - just be careful here.

Muzozavr 
Blood pressure...

Level: 76
Posted: 2015-04-03, 17:47   

Quote:
Now you need to take a step back first to step forward. Use somethings obviously important and combine, don't be afraid of non-words...then step forward.

That's where I am (right before the video step) and I have no clue what to do. I deciphered the readme code, there's a highlighted word that gives me a certain reference (that seems pretty clear), but I can't find a way to use it. There's an extra file with a specific name and zero bytes, but I can't figure out a way to apply it... I've tried just going back to the previous step, but even that didn't work. :/ Anagramming even gave me certain results in that case, but no, they don't work for any of the two files.

I'm almost tempted to use a program to crack the password to figure out the logic afterwards. :?

EDIT: With a few PMs to Beezqp I got it... thought I already tried this approach, but apparently I tried it wrong. Now I'm on the video - one "detail" looks like it makes sense, but so far I can't quite connect it with the video itself. Will keep trying.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, media players just didn't want to reproduce the file correctly or give me proper frame advance, so my results were off. Movie Maker is incredibly broken with this file, even more than standard media players (at least Vista's Movie Maker is) so grab a trial of Vegas or something similar, because that actually handles the file correctly and works properly. Got through the video, now I'm at the image...

Making my own riddle. Progress: 17/60 (no pictures yet)

Falcarius 
Follow the leader...

Posted: 2015-08-20, 17:13   

Also stuck at the 0B file - I'm assuming the "lock" and "key" have the same name at every stage, but now the key is locked too :(
Several clues but not sure how to combine them, and "don't be afraid of non-words" means even more possibilities...

The gateway still says that the circle has been closed, so where am I now? The square?

Current progress
Main levels: solved 1~76
Bonus levels: solved BTHL, 5007, T and -
Old levels: solved 1~30

Muzozavr 
Blood pressure...

Posted: 2015-08-24, 00:21   

The zero bytes file? That part is pretty ridiculous, though it's the image that got me completely stumped. Anyway, on the 0B part... this level is entirely backwards from anything you've done before. Instead of using rules to get a result, you're using a result (given to you) to figure out the rules. It's underhinted, but it's difficult to hint at without telling too much.

The next part will be video-related: forget normal media players, they don't work. Grab a trial copy of any proper video editor that allows frame advance. Vegas works.

Then there's the image... which is where I had to take a long big break.

Beezqp 
Master of Darkness

Posted: 2015-08-26, 21:12   

I am pretty much sure that I changed the B part since. but as usual for this particular part of this particular level, I forgot.

puzzle 
Warped mind...

Posted: 2015-09-27, 18:41   

hey guys, I'm back

I'm on part e with the picture. Any ideas?
I can't find which level from 1-60 can be compared with this one
is it similiar due to some kind of theme/picture/thing shown on it or due to the method?

Tynka 
Angel of Light

Posted: 2015-09-28, 00:10   

hej :) welcome back

the method is important, you need to use something you have used in the past

someguy 
Hear nothing...

Posted: 2016-04-18, 01:59   

hello. we've (im samuel n from HoF #23) been stuck on 68 for some time. we're at the zero-byte file part and have been for quite a while, and don't know what to do. can anyone help?, a pm maybe?

Xanax 
Tension...

Level: 75
Posted: 2016-04-18, 17:37   

You must extract something from text file, and transform it with zero-byte file.

someguy 
Hear nothing...

Posted: 2016-04-23, 07:47   

i know what to extract, that seems obvious, but not so sure about the method of 'transforming'

Muzozavr 
Blood pressure...

Posted: 2016-05-28, 12:09   

Gaaaaaaaah, back at 68e again, its files are still on my HDD... still stuck.

Same spot as before: the image. From Xanax's PMs (thanks!) I know which method "from the past" I need to use, but really not sure what to do with it. The problem is that I have no idea what to look for. The only idea I have is some form of color matching (after the "method", yes, not before) but most of the letters don't match... and with that I'm still as clueless as I was when I left and feel no closer to the solution.

I know which level's method to use (as before) but I don't know what to do with it! :(

EDIT: OK, I gave up and gave in by "cheating" with a special program. Technically, in online riddles very few things count as cheating (apart from direct spoilers), but my approach is not an elegant one. Now that I know the answer... it still doesn't make sense, but whatever. Will try to solve the last part properly...

EDIT 2: Wait, there's one more archive... but I didn't have to unlock it? I could go on to 69 without doing that? Meh, whatever. This level is freaking weird.

On 69 now... in the most inelegant way possible. Unfortunately, the image part of 68 seems to be too underclued for me to solve it properly.

EDIT 3:

Muzozavr's "Beyond the Rim" Hint Circle: 68

1. Die. Then... don't.
2. This one is exactly what you think it is.
3. This is a "riddle backwards". (To prevent misunderstanding... WARNING! The conversion method is case-sensitive!)
4. Spot a detail, then be as precise as possible.
5. If all else fails, cheating is your friend.
6. The last package isn't needed. Just follow the trail... and be careful along the way.

someguy 
Hear nothing...

Posted: 2016-06-27, 05:10   

68a + b: one day!
68c: eight months... after figuring out what to do i feel dumb :lol:
68d + e + f: pretty much done within 24 hours, super cool puzzles!

onwards to 69... finally.

Falcarius 
Follow the leader...

Posted: 2016-07-05, 03:05   

Nearly a year later, and I'm still stuck on 68c (zero-bytes). I have no idea how to 'transform', and the only case-sensitive methods I could think of didn't work. 'Non-words' makes this a ridiculous guessing game, particularly when the 0B hint is so minimal.

EDIT: Made it through thanks to some PMs. Right place, wrong case :roll:
Now for 68d... had to pull out Avidemux because VLC's frame advance is lame. I think I've been "precise" enough, but I don't think I've found the "detail" yet (pretty sure it's not the empty Polish audio track :P )

The gateway still says that the circle has been closed, so where am I now? The square?

Current progress
Main levels: solved 1~76
Bonus levels: solved BTHL, 5007, T and -
Old levels: solved 1~30

lla26 
Warped mind...

Posted: 2017-10-12, 17:55   

For those who are in 68D, I don't recommend following Muzozavr's recommendation. Simple programs work here. Just need to spot details (and don't overthink like I did - wasted 2 hours in this part :P )

Some hints/tips:
A) Picture gives out everything.
B) Just follow your first instinct. You might need additional programs to help you.
C) Keyword in text, a file gives connotation what to do.
D) Just spot the necessary details.
E) Some obvious elements give away which past level needed. And don't be afraid of non-word. (Thanks Luthorien for help!)
F) Just follow the path...and don't miss any detail!

PS - I felt this level is the perfect ode to a video game. To those who played the game, you might notice the similarities!
Riddle progress
Last edited by lla26 on 2017-10-13, 10:38; edited 2 times in total  

Beezqp 
Master of Darkness

Posted: 2017-10-12, 22:44   

Quote:
PS - I felt this level is the perfect ode to a video game. To those who played the game, you might notice the similarities!

In my restless dreams,
I see that town...

Reply to topic