InwardHellix InwardHellix InwardHellix InwardHellix InwardHellix InwardHellix

Reply to topic
Previous topic :: Next topic
Minor issues
Falcarius 
Follow the leader...

Level: 77
Posted: 2013-12-18, 13:52   Minor issues

Just finished a run-through up to level 65 (where I'm still stuck) to look for any issues, found a couple but nothing major.

- As has been mentioned, the sound files are sometimes glitchy - mp3 files sometimes don't load fully, thus looping much earlier than they should, and swf files sometimes stop playing. I don't know how much of this is my computer/browser's fault, but I'm not the only one who's had mp3 issues at least.
- The entrance to level T is still pointing to the me3.pl domain, although this won't exactly prevent people from finding the level :P
- As has been mentioned, the tool necessary for level 17 won't work on 64-bit Windows. I'm trying to find a way to convert it to 64-bit (or at least 32-bit), but with my lack of programming knowledge, I'm not very hopeful.
- For that matter, I'm sure there was a hint somewhere in level 17 saying 'l*** f** s**', but I can't find it any more. Is it gone, or am I just not looking hard enough? (I think it was at k**.htm, which is now a 404.)
- --- are missing from the 'old levels' version of 27, making it unsolvable unless you've played the current 27. I can't solve the old versions of 13, 18 or 26 either, but that's most likely due to lack of clues rather than missing files.

And now for some extremely minor nitpicking...
- http://inwardhellix.com/tutorial/mus/ needs an extra '../' in its source code to correctly point to the css file. On a related note, http://inwardhellix.com/css/ is the first legitimate 403 I've found on the site :D (trying to visit [any folder]/.htm also gives a 403, but I suspect that's unpreventable).
- There's a click sound at the end of thud.mp3 (level 23), and a less noticeable one in hatebeat.mp3 (34, 46, 59 etc). Nothing massive, but kind of annoying for people who pay too much attention to the background music (like me).
- I'm quite happy that the Google part of 59 is now easier, but the change does make the HS (the one about 'never heard of a thing called like that') a bit strange.
- Wikipedia does not acknowledge the -8290.5 value in level 39. It's still quite findable through Google, but if you feel like making it a little more 'official', the -8290.5 should be replaced with -8244.
- I'm a little disappointed that there isn't a sarcastic '---' egg on level 19. ;)

The gateway still says that the circle has been closed, so where am I now? The square?

Current progress
Main levels: solved 1~76
Bonus levels: solved BTHL, 5007, T and -
Old levels: solved 1~30

Beezqp 
Master of Darkness

Posted: 2013-12-18, 18:47   

Quote:
- As has been mentioned, the sound files are sometimes glitchy - mp3 files sometimes don't load fully, thus looping much earlier than they should, and swf files sometimes stop playing. I don't know how much of this is my computer/browser's fault, but I'm not the only one who's had mp3 issues at least.

Yep, this requires a thought. The pain in arse factor of that is that sometimes mp3's are used for solution, so the change would either make the way more obvious or make the level unsolvable [I personally prefer the second option].

Still, a lot of technical aspects to overcome - source code, conversion tools, changing the paths... This is not a minor thing, I'm afraid.

Quote:
- The entrance to level T is still pointing to the me3.pl domain, although this won't exactly prevent people from finding the level :P

Corrected.

Quote:
- As has been mentioned, the tool necessary for level 17 won't work on 64-bit Windows. I'm trying to find a way to convert it to 64-bit (or at least 32-bit), but with my lack of programming knowledge, I'm not very hopeful.

I was dying to get the tool to work, however, it seems to be impossible to do it without totally nerdy requirements which are way to complicated for level that early. I am afraid that the only option would be to rebuild this level and I am already thinking on some ideas, not to stray too far from the original concept. Maybe I'll manage to do something today.

Quote:
- For that matter, I'm sure there was a hint somewhere in level 17 saying 'l*** f** s**', but I can't find it any more. Is it gone, or am I just not looking hard enough? (I think it was at k**.htm, which is now a 404.)

Maybe it just didn't copy at some point. Not big deal. Level will be changed anyway.

Quote:
- --- are missing from the 'old levels' version of 27, making it unsolvable unless you've played the current 27. I can't solve the old versions of 13, 18 or 26 either, but that's most likely due to lack of clues rather than missing files.

Corrected. They were there, though hidden in a folder for some reason. I deleted the names as it spoiled a bit.

Quote:
- http://inwardhellix.com/tutorial/mus/ needs an extra '../' in its source code to correctly point to the css file. On a related note, http://inwardhellix.com/css/ is the first legitimate 403 I've found on the site :D (trying to visit [any folder]/.htm also gives a 403, but I suspect that's unpreventable).

Corrected. I guess.

Quote:
- There's a click sound at the end of thud.mp3 (level 23), and a less noticeable one in hatebeat.mp3 (34, 46, 59 etc). Nothing massive, but kind of annoying for people who pay too much attention to the background music (like me).

I don't hear. Maybe sound related issue again.

Quote:
- I'm quite happy that the Google part of 59 is now easier, but the change does make the HS (the one about 'never heard of a thing called like that') a bit strange.

I don't quite follow this.

Quote:
- Wikipedia does not acknowledge the -8290.5 value in level 39. It's still quite findable through Google, but if you feel like making it a little more 'official', the -8290.5 should be replaced with -8244.

Done. I trusted you with the value, though. If it's unsolvable now - that's on you.

Quote:
- I'm a little disappointed that there isn't a sarcastic '---' egg on level 19. ;)

I find 404 even more sarcastic.

Muzozavr 
Blood pressure...

Level: 76
Posted: 2013-12-18, 19:01   

Quote:
Yep, this requires a thought. The pain in arse factor of that is that sometimes mp3's are used for solution, so the change would either make the way more obvious or make the level unsolvable [I personally prefer the second option].

Here's an idea:

Make the SWF-converted version the one that you can actually hear within the level and add that to the source code. Then don't delete the mp3 part, but instead keep the "mp3" link in a tag that "looks" like it should work, but doesn't actually play in ANY browser. Then people can find the mp3, but it won't disturb the SWF that you're actually hearing.

What about this?

There are also SWF decompilers - if I can find a free one that works, then that one level will become even tougher as the result.

Quote:
I was dying to get the tool to work, however, it seems to be impossible to do it without totally nerdy requirements which are way to complicated for level that early. I am afraid that the only option would be to rebuild this level and I am already thinking on some ideas, not to stray too far from the original concept. Maybe I'll manage to do something today.

How about ---? I believe I sent you a link way, way back before the hosting issues.

Making my own riddle. Progress: 17/60 (no pictures yet)

Beezqp 
Master of Darkness

Posted: 2013-12-18, 19:14   

Quote:
Make the SWF-converted version the one that you can actually hear within the level and add that to the source code. Then don't delete the mp3 part, but instead keep the "mp3" link in a tag that "looks" like it should work, but doesn't actually play in ANY browser. Then people can find the mp3, but it won't disturb the SWF that you're actually hearing.

This is one idea to resolve it worth consideration.

Quote:
There are also SWF decompilers - if I can find a free one that works, then that one level will become even tougher as the result.

I am afraid that compilation to SWF will not leave file's metadata untouched. I am thinking of leaving mp3s in those cases, things would a bit be more obvious but still nothing would be given on a plate anyway.

Quote:
How about ---? I believe I sent you a link way, way back before the hosting issues.

Sorry, I censored you as we are on the public space and you gave out the way. But yep, that was the idea I had. We would only need new picture and minor changes here and there. You wouldn't mind sending me that link again? Or at least point what it was and I will dig in Google.

Muzozavr 
Blood pressure...

Level: 76
Posted: 2013-12-18, 19:23   

Sorry for "giving out the way" as you said, I was typing in a hurry. I forgot.

Anyway, I PMed you that link again.

Making my own riddle. Progress: 17/60 (no pictures yet)

Beezqp 
Master of Darkness

Posted: 2013-12-18, 20:20   

Enjoy new 17.

Falcarius 
Follow the leader...

Posted: 2013-12-19, 06:31   

Beezqp wrote:

Still, a lot of technical aspects to overcome - source code, conversion tools, changing the paths... This is not a minor thing, I'm afraid.

I kinda liked the concept of the old system (.swf for "music", .mp3 for "sound effects"), but I don't really mind what happens as long as people can hear the sound [and the level remains solvable].

Beezqp wrote:
Enjoy new 17.

:D
...Except that key.key 'cannot be displayed, because it contains errors'. :(
EDIT: ...oh. :roll: Sure you want to leave it as 'key.key'?

Beezqp wrote:
Quote:

I don't hear. Maybe sound related issue again.

Okay, after downloading both and checking in Audacity, the one in hatebeat is due to my headphones (they click very faintly at the start/end of silence) and the one in thud is because of the mp3 cutting off halfway. But unlike the other mp3s, this one ALWAYS cuts off here when playing it within my browser (Firefox with Quicktime), no matter how much I refresh. Downloading the file and then playing it (in Audacity, WMP, Quicktime and Firefox) always seems to work properly, though. :/

Beezqp wrote:
Quote:

I don't quite follow this.

The hint screen is now talking about a slightly different 'word' to the one that leads there. Not a big deal, though.

Quote:
other changes

Yay, now I have contributed to the Hellix beyond just playing it ;)

The gateway still says that the circle has been closed, so where am I now? The square?

Current progress
Main levels: solved 1~76
Bonus levels: solved BTHL, 5007, T and -
Old levels: solved 1~30
Last edited by Falcarius on 2013-12-19, 07:36; edited 1 time in total  

Beezqp 
Master of Darkness

Posted: 2013-12-19, 07:30   

Quote:
...Except that key.key 'cannot be displayed, because it contains errors'. :(

It should not be displayed anymore. Solve the level please.

Quote:
The hint screen is now talking about a slightly different 'word' to the one that leads there. Not a big deal, though.

Oh, I get it now. I will fix.

Quote:
EDIT: ...oh. :roll: Sure you want to leave it as 'key.key'?

For the lore!

Reply to topic