InwardHellix InwardHellix InwardHellix InwardHellix InwardHellix InwardHellix

Reply to topic
Previous topic :: Next topic
Music!
Beezqp 
Master of Darkness

Level: 77
Posted: 2007-04-23, 18:16   Music!

Know, what is? Listen to? Play the instruments? Write about it!

I love listening to music, but I've got some requirements. First - it shouldn't be schematic; second - I love any "strange voices", experiments etc., but still with the normal things like vocal [I prefer female, but also like male, if it's not gay or growl] or perc; third - it must have a "feeling" in itself, I don't like music which doesn't touch me - I like to be afraid of it, to feel it's power or the real sorrow in it. Music must taking over me - not just play somewhere and nothing more.

Generally, I don't have a favourite band, even don't have a favourite genre. If the music has "that thing" I wrote about above, I like it, no matter if it's soundtrack, dark ambient or heavy metal.

I also play the keyboard [piano, strings] - now I've got "finishing_school_test" break, but want to start again by summer. ;p

drkn 
The Gunslinger

Level: -1
Posted: 2007-04-23, 21:04   

http://www.youtube.com/wa...de=user&search=

Muzozavr 
Blood pressure...

Level: 76
Posted: 2007-08-05, 08:43   

Well, what can I say? My favorite band is Beatles. (after all the time... :lol: )
Outside of bands, the intro track for Inward Hellix.
And Revolution coin vanish soundtrack.

Making my own riddle. Progress: 17/60 (no pictures yet)

Beezqp 
Master of Darkness

Posted: 2007-08-05, 09:15   

Beatles - when I was about six, this was my absolute favourite. I still have the only tape of them I've ever heard [don't ask me, which is it or with which tracks - I have no idea]. But when I got older, my fascination about this band has disappeared... But still remember some melodies :mrgreen:

galileo 
Where am I...?

Level: 3
Posted: 2007-09-06, 00:28   

There was a time when my favourite band was The Beatles. Then The Supremes, then The Smashing Pumpkins. These are the only groups that I've ever bought actual records of.

I like music that puts pictures in my head or makes me want to dance.

GyRIdashai 
Alive...

Level: 71
Posted: 2007-10-05, 08:02   

The IH soundtrack rawkz! :mrgreen:

drkn 
The Gunslinger

Posted: 2007-10-05, 19:58   

more of me: http://www.lastfm.pl/user/szatan/

Strati 
Tension...

Posted: 2008-03-24, 04:03   

What can I tell...
I can play guitars... and probably another string instruments that follow the same playing logic. I also have ventured a bit on keyboards and not much time ago attempted the accordion, which I lack the ability to deal with all those chord buttons.

What I listen?... I would say i saw a lot of me when i read Beezqp description.
I like instrumentals very much, therefore I would prefer the voice as much as just another instrument playing along.

Lyrics? Well, i don't like to care much about them, so if songs don't seem to mean anything, it's fine as long as the vocals are cool to sing along.
Still, there are a few songs that I have grown to like just because I have identified with the lyrics in my own way.

The mainstream music where I live is mostly shit (as everywhere else I believe)
Stupid criminal/cheating/sex-appealing lyrics that repeat the same chorus over and over,
Made by machines that immitate real instruments or for musicians that build a masterpiece with insane audio quality to be wasted with retarded trendy-singers, just for the money greed.

I can say music sometimes is some sort of my personal-drug, it bears the power to make my soul feel vivid in a way that maybe 2 or 3 things in life does. ( I think :P )
Listening to music, yes it brings you out... but nothing compares to playing...
When you play... then your essence can actually manifest itself.

The style I use to listen more is metal-derived genres, mostly for the power-feeling matter. Although I might like the most random kinds that may bring me sadness, remorse, madness, nostalgia, triumph-feeling...

I hate most of music made for dancing (beat-based mostly), because dancing is probably one of the worst things in this world. And by dancing I mean follow a bunch of pre-determined movements. What people were supposed to do is to just feel the music and move naturally as it flows, go there and free yourself, chaos moving. Dancing just limit your soul-expression to follow a given pattern.

From that you might get the styles I hate the most.
Even though Rap would fit exactly in my description, there can be cases that listening to a good rapper might be a good listen. (as long as the lyrics aren't "yo, i'm gangsta" or at least that I have no idea that they are). I mean, every bad style might have its salvation hidden in the dust.

I would like to always find new and different music, but i'm bad at broadening my song-knowledge.
So if someone happen to talk in a song in particular in this thread, give a link to the audio file.
Last edited by Strati on 2009-01-04, 00:30; edited 3 times in total  

Beezqp 
Master of Darkness

Posted: 2008-03-24, 12:41   

Quote:
Lyrics? Well, i don't like to care much about them, so if songs don't seem to mean anything, it's fine as long as the vocals are cool to sing along.

For me - lyrics are very important. Through the lyrics you can see if the band have any idea for their art. It have to mean something, it must be perfected, must to tell a story. Sometimes even with no lyrics or very, very few it can blow up your mind [see this], but stupid freaky lyrics for me means that the guys who released the music have no soul.

Quote:
The mainstream music where I live is mostly shit (as everywhere else I believe)
Stupid criminal/cheating/sex-appealing lyrics that repeat the same chorus over and over,
Made by machines that immitate real instruments or for musicians that build a masterpiece with insane audio quality to be wasted with retarded trendy-singers, just for the money greed.

Same here, and no-brain idiots who think that those guys are real true artists from heaven.

Quote:
dancing is probably one of the worst things in this world

Have the same feeling. Those people looping all around and repeat funny-idiot movement really make me fell better of them. Hah.

bna 
Alive...

Level: 734
Posted: 2008-03-25, 06:35   

I play several instruments and have sung everything from English Madrigals in Chamber Choirs to fronting for Heavy Metal and Punk bands. Not everyone would consider the later singing (mine or otherwise. ;) ) In college I was the Music Director for the campus radio station, and had a New Releases show. I like a wide variety of music, and back when music stores were made of brick and mortar (I know I am dating myself), I would frequently get asked by the cashier if my selections were gifts, because they did not believe one person could tolerate the diversity of sound.

In some cases the music is the best part; in other cases the lyrics are the gem. It is best when both are working together, but I find the music works better than the lyrics most the time. Language can be limiting itself, but sometimes it's just illiteracy.

California is home to many excellent bands, and there are hundreds of venues, from small to large, in which to hear original artists. It is also home to some of the most trendy overproduced trash you can find. For me music is a personal experience, but one that can also be shared. My favorite music has memories and events associated with it, and admittedly, sometimes is total trash in musical terms.
Last edited by bna on 2008-03-29, 00:02; edited 1 time in total  

drkn 
The Gunslinger

Posted: 2008-03-25, 12:48   

Getting more addicted to Nevermore and WASP at the moment ;p

Strati 
Tension...

Posted: 2008-03-29, 19:13   

Beezqp wrote:
Quote:

For me - lyrics are very important. Through the lyrics you can see if the band have any idea for their art. It have to mean something, it must be perfected, must to tell a story. Sometimes even with no lyrics or very, very few it can blow up your mind [see this], but stupid freaky lyrics for me means that the guys who released the music have no soul.

Yeah, yeah... you know, I mean that... but inside its limits.
Lyrics are important, but taking examples:

A lot of metal bands sing about "the mighty dragon flames of hell" but yet they have a nice music behind that.
So... that doesn't mean usually anything... they're kind of no good, no bad.
And in this case, i don't see why to care, i just focus on the melody.
(their souls are of musicians, but not even a little of writers, so they still have a soul ;P )

But many kinds of songs also have somewhat nonsense lyrics, but they're empty.
I mean, they degrade the listener, they sing things we don't need to hear.
Like - I don't care if you're the evil satan on earth or the hottest woman in the world,
I just care for why the hell you have to record a song telling everyone that.
Last edited by Strati on 2008-08-09, 07:55; edited 1 time in total  

pennylane 
Follow the leader...

Level: 63
Posted: 2008-04-08, 15:45   

Whoa, you all have feelings... :P

legobenj 
Faster...

Level: 53
Posted: 2008-04-22, 06:51   

I play the guitar, but my favorite genre is soundtrack. Oh Yeah!

John Williams, Howard Shore, Klaus Badelt, Hanz Zimmer, Trevor Rabin; They all rock!

I also love X-ray Dog (especially their Dark Empire Remix) and Immediate Music.

Oh Yeah, and the IH soundtrack. Something I would love to own I might add. 8)

Strati 
Tension...

Posted: 2008-04-25, 06:50   

IH soundtrack is mostly taken from Silent Hill games, if you're interested.

legobenj 
Faster...

Level: 53
Posted: 2008-04-25, 06:54   

Yeah, I saw that in the credits on the main page.

The Dann 
Float up from a dream...

Level: 60
Posted: 2008-06-24, 08:51   

Strati wrote:
IH soundtrack is mostly taken from Silent Hill games, if you're interested.

Really? From which SHs??
Can you specify them?
I loved the sound track of IH and even the sound was really disturbing, it was really familliar to me.
(love them all, btw...)

Mai 
Fear of the dark...

Level: 16
Posted: 2009-01-01, 22:41   

Music ?

I prefer rock, emo rock, emocore, alternative etc.
Fall Out Boy, 30 Seconds To Mars, Bullet For My Valentine :mrgreen:
But also I like listen to soundtracks. Sometimes are awesome!
Just like 'Pirates of the Carribean: At World End' what are my favourite.

more:http://www.lastfm.pl/user/Powiem_Mamie

sorry for my english ! :P

OlgaZzZ 
Warped mind...

Level: 46
Posted: 2009-01-03, 08:18   

Mai wrote:
Music ?

I prefer rock, emo rock, emocore, alternative etc.
Fall Out Boy, 30 Seconds To Mars, Bullet For My Valentine :mrgreen:
But also I like listen to soundtracks. Sometimes are awesome!
Just like 'Pirates of the Carribean: At World End' what are my favourite.

more:http://www.lastfm.pl/user/Powiem_Mamie

sorry for my english ! :P

YEAHHHHH!!!
<=> 0.99999...=1

"nothing is perfect, there is always something missing..."

Leaf 
Hear nothing...

Level: 7
Posted: 2009-04-04, 03:49   

It's little sad for me to see that there's no more about music here, I just love music and sound itself.

I prefer instrumental music, but I'm not actually constrained. I like music like progressive rock, psychedelic rock, symphonic rock, jazz, classical, math rock, noise, jazz rock, noise rock, zeuhl and so on... The sicker the better :))

I like exploring "new" music (and also various ways of making music), which is usually older (there's not many much of good music for me today), so if someone knows some bands or artists that might interest me (or others) feel free to share it with us and if someone would like some proposal or anything, I'm open for all discussions :)

Strati 
Tension...

Posted: 2009-11-16, 00:00   

So... anyone else is a instrumentist?

I have this crazy idea of putting up a netband project and making music by distance, each one adding his piece... well, you get it.

It's not anything that serious or professional talent requiring, just for an interesting experience also known as "fun".

Beezqp 
Master of Darkness

Posted: 2009-11-16, 01:11   

I've done with music about a year ago. Just required more patience than I could gave to it.

Leaf 
Hear nothing...

Level: 7
Posted: 2009-11-17, 14:35   

Strati wrote:
So... anyone else is a instrumentist?

I have this crazy idea of putting up a netband project and making music by distance, each one adding his piece... well, you get it.

It's not anything that serious or professional talent requiring, just for an interesting experience also known as "fun".

I'm for it! It sounds really interesting, I have similar vision of music, it has to be fun and without any boundaries. If you manage to do something like that, let me now. I'm into experimental music and that kinda stuff. I'm just wondering, would that be in real time what you are planning?

Strati 
Tension...

Posted: 2009-11-21, 20:49   

Good, Now we are two.
What I'm planning:
One person records his instrument, sends to another person in the band, who adds his own part.
Then after everyone has done their piece, extra stuff can be added, like vocals, lyrics or artificial instruments.

All is up to discussion, whatever everyone tends or bends to agree.

And beezqp: why would it require patience? Unless you are a perfectionist, I can't think of any good explanation.
It would be great if you joined in. At least from what I can say about your vision/likings about music.

Beezqp 
Master of Darkness

Posted: 2009-11-23, 18:42   

Playing piano and synths means a lot of practicing. I was about 17 when I started playing and it's quite shameful for me to play things like "Little pony" or "Doggie, doggie" [I made up the titles but you get the idea]. But without that stage there's no going forward... I made through it but then the next stage which was to look for right songs. And there are two options: to find a teacher who chooses or to buy books. I tried both of them and both were expensive while neither effective.

And sitting like 8 hours and practicing is not my life. I need messing around, annoying people, adventures... My other passions are full of such things but playing music not. So i gave it up.

Strati 
Tension...

Posted: 2009-11-27, 19:20   

Because you are playing like math.
I confess playing a ground-bound instrument limits a lot your fun, but you should try exploring and find musicality on your own.
Practicing music is boring as hell, just play to have fun and start trying to find out how to play little song parts/riffs (on your own!) and when you find out you'll know a lot about your instrument.
It's how I learned.

Beezqp 
Master of Darkness

Posted: 2009-11-27, 21:05   

Well, now I'm playing like this sometimes but it's boring for me. I prefer having control and to have control I need to know what I'm doing. Wild playing somehow doesn't make me feel so.

Strati 
Tension...

Posted: 2009-11-28, 20:31   

OK, I tried...

vard 
Alive...

Level: 59
Posted: 2010-10-14, 22:52   

I've got no talent for music but love listening to it. I don't really pay attention to genres, I just listen to everything that seems interesting - but classic rock is my beloved and Pink Floyd is definitely my favorite band. oh, and I have a last.fm account, though now I rarely listen to anything on my computer. http://www.lastfm.pl/user/vard
'Some of us know secrets that would make your hair stand straight up on end and your eyes pop out of their sockets. (...) We know how to make your nails drop off and teeth grow out of your fingers instead.'
R. Dahl, 'George's Marvellous Medicine'

Reply to topic